Monday, May 10, 2010

I hope you won't think less of me.

And I hope you pork-lovers will even come to forgive me someday. But I bought Turkey-bacon. Yes, I know. I can hear you now: "But that's not even bacon. It's turkey disguised as bacon. Come on!" I know. But when real bacon disagrees with a loved one's tummy, something has to be done. I mean, I can't give up the idea of bacon all together. That would be absurd! Let's all just calm down and look at the facts. This isn't a permanent switch. I'm not going to swear off succulent, fattening pork products for the rest of my life and have my son grow up never knowing the taste of real food. I'm not going to pretend it isn't some fowl meat ground up and shaped to look like an important ingredient. And I'm not even going to substitute turkey-bacon for the real thing in recipes. (At least not right away.) But when breakfast rolls around, and you can easily microwave (yes, yes, I know) a few slices and do without that heavy smell of fat in the air and forego the tummy ache later the day, I think this purchase is excusable once in a while. There. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

2 comments:

Christine Cohen said...

I'm with you on that one. I loved microwaved turkey bacon in college. Now Joel refuses to have it around. :)

Bobbinoggin said...

The question is: who insists on the turkey bacon?

Whatever floats your boat! :)