Friday, January 7, 2011

Oh Taste and See

Today I decided to bite the bullet, stop being a wimp and let my toddler mess up my kitchen. Charlie is always intensely curious about everything I do up on top of the mysterious counter. And sometimes I'll create a little space for him to stir and pour imaginary food. But generally, it's hands-off the real stuff. Until this afternoon. I knew it would be messy but, really, it had to be done. We were out of cookies.

Charlie surprised me. I'm not sure what I expected, but he was really rather engrossed in his task. He painstakingly put sprinkles on the dough and experimented to his heart's content. It really wasn't that bad. He didn't even try to sample anything. The only hard part was getting him to keep the cookies on the cookie sheet after they were sufficiently rolled. They kept ending up back the in the sprinkles bowls. And of course the sprinkles all wound up in each others' bowls, and eventually (at the bitter end) all the sprinkles were poured (twice I think) onto the cookie sheet. But Charlie was very good about helping clean that up.


The cookies ended up ridiculously huge. They're supposed to be three times as small, because two cookies get glued together with (woweee sweet!) filling.
I think I was in a bit of a hurry and not caring much about size because I was hoping to avoid a complete deterioration of the process.

But Charlie doesn't care, so why should I?

No comments: